Who We Are
- Our students consistently score far above national averages on standardized tests.
- Our class sizes are limited, providing an intimate learning environment.
- Our teachers are state-certified and average 15 years of teaching experience.
- 20% have earned master’s degrees in education.
- Good Counsel’s School Board ensures the stability of our school by meeting monthly to review academic objectives and strategies, discuss financial and facility concerns, craft marketing objectives and maintain the school’s strong Catholic Identity.
- Good Counsel, and all schools in the Trenton Diocese, are accredited by the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI), an accreditation division of AdvancED.
- Opportunities for financial aid are available. Bishop David O’Connell has made this a priority in the Diocese of Trenton.
- Please navigate our site to learn about our admissions process, academics, including K-8 curriculum, PTA Fundraisers, Athletic Teams and Clubs.
For more information about our school or to arrange a tour, contact us at 856-235-7885 or email email@example.com
The mission of Our Lady of School Counsel Parish School is to form students in the image of Jesus Christ.
In keeping with our mission, the faculty and staff are committed to fostering the development of certain core values in our students to help them become responsible, caring individuals. Christ is the model and center of our school. Christian values are taught, modeled and lived by all members of the school community, especially our teachers.
Our Lady of Good Counsel School opened in 1927 during the pastorate of Father James F. Hendricks. There were four classrooms and an auditorium with an enrollment of 180 students for eight grade levels.
The Sisters of St. Joseph of Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania, agreed to staff the school. Since that time, Our Lady of Good Counsel School has expanded and flourished because of the hard work and commitment of our community.
Between 1950 and 1960, enrollment increased dramatically and the first lay teachers joined the faculty. In 1962, while Father Michael F. O’Keefe was Pastor, a new addition to Our Lady of Good Counsel School was completed, furnishing the school with two classes per grade level. The faculty was increased to 10 Sisters of St. Joseph and six lay teachers.
In June 1986,the Sisters of St. Joseph withdrew from Our Lady of Good Counsel School, recognizing the need to reduce their corporate commitments because the community had aged and the number of vocations declined. After the the departure of the Sisters, Monsignor James J. McGovern, then Pastor, appointed Sister Michael Vincent Dailey, O.P., principal in September 1985. Sister Michael led our school for almost 15 years before retiring.
Jerome T. McGowan was hired to oversee Good Counsel School in September 2000. Mr McGowan served as Principal for 13 years and recently retired in June 2013. After Mr McGowan’s retirement in 2013 Dr. Frank McAneny became our principal from July of that year to June of 2016. Dr. McAneny was responsible for helping our school, faculty, and students achieve one of the highest honors in education: becoming a Blue Ribbon School, in 2015. Our new principal, Dr. Carla Chiarelli began her tenure in July, 2016.
Our pastor is Very Rev. Damian McElroy.
Today, as a Blue Ribbon School and an AdvancED Accredited school, we have a healthy enrollment in Prek-3 through 8th grade. Our faculty is a committed and stable presence, providing Our Lady of Good Counsel School with a religious and caring atmosphere as well as academic excellence.
School Board Members
- Very Rev. Damian McElroy, Pastor
- Mrs. Heather Crisci, Chair
- Dr. Carla Chiarelli
- Mr. Marc Lario
- Mrs. Bernardine Maloney
- Mr. Dan Roccato
- Mrs. Lisa Shallow
- Mr. William Cornell
- Dr. Chris Heilig
- Mrs. Cheryl Biancaniello
- Mrs. Donna Montanez
- Mr. John B. Comegno II, Esquire / Comegno Law Group, P.C. - General Counsel to OLGC
The school board of Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish School meets monthly to be sure that the school is planning for its future. This includes admissions, advancement, marketing, and finance.
The board consists of nine voting members who serve three-year terms and have a wide range of professional experience in the fields of academics, finance, law, business and administration.
Each are parishioners invited to serve at the request of our pastor, Father Damian McElroy.
Father Damian oversees the school board, which was created in 2008 and is chaired by Mrs. Heather Crisci, Principal of Camden Catholic High School in Cherry Hill.
Principal Dr. Carla Chiarelli represents the school’s administration.
If you have any ideas to share regarding our parish school, please contact one of the following people, or speak to our priests or our principal. There are 8 voting members.
Heather Crisci is Principal of Camden Catholic High School in Cherry Hill.
Marc Lario is an attorney practicing in Haddonfield.
Bernardine Maloney has been a parish member since 1968.
Dan Roccato is President of Quaker Wealth Management.
Lisa Shallow is an accountant with 25 years of experience.
Bill Cornell is an Assistant Principal at Seneca High School (Lenape District).
Chris Heilig is the Superintendednt of Rancocas Valley School District
Cheryl Biancaniello is a Good Counsel teacher representative.
Donna Montanez is a Good Counsel PTA representative.
Mr. John B. Comegno II, Esquire / Comegno Law Group, P.C. - General Counsel to OLGC